About the Annual Survey of Manufactures (ASM)
- United States
- 50 states
- District of Columbia
1997 - forward
*The Census Bureau conducts the ASM in each of the 4 years between the economic census, which is collected for years ending in 2 and 7. The economic census - manufacturing is the sample frame from which the ASM is chosen and presents more detailed data than the ASM.
With each new ASM release, previous years' data are eligible for revision.
Important Data Notes
- All Employees and Production Workers' Numbers - Figures represent average number of production workers for payroll period ended nearest the 12th of March, May, August, and November, plus all other employees for payroll period ended nearest the 12th of March.
- Total Cost of Materials and Total Value of Shipments - Aggregate of total cost of materials and total value of shipments includes extensive duplication, since products of some industries are used as materials of others.
- Relative Standard Error of Estimate (percent) - Description of relative standard error of estimate is given in Appendix B. Percentage standard errors shown are approximate relative standard errors of estimates of level.
- Includes industry groups with 950 employees or more. Data based on the most recent survey and previous years' data may differ due to revisions.
- For years where data is from the Economic Census (those ending in 2 and 7), the U.S. values are a sum of the state data.